Wednesday, September 19, 2007

9/18/07- The sweater blog...



Some say that clothes make the man. I say that this is partially true. It really depends.

I'm definitely far from being a fashion guru of any sorts, but sometimes you just have to stop, look at certain people around you, and ask: what the fuck are you thinking?

Today I was walking around my college campus and saw a 350 pound man in a large, green sweater. It was 75 degrees outside. It was far from cold. Did he think it would cover up his grotesque stomach or make him appear "cool"? If he was wearing one in the middle of December, then ok. But September? Come on, have some common sense.

The other day I saw a girl wearing a shirt that said "I hate my parents". Really, what does that actually imply? Does she really hate her parents? Is the shirt just supposed to be some sort of biting commentary on our culture? Or did the color of the shirt just so happen to match her pants? Either way, the fact of the matter is that she probably bought the shirt at "Hot Topic"(hardly a statement of rebellion).

Finally, I just don't understand the rational behind guys wearing pink shirts. These people whom I speak of don't claim to be gay, so then why the pink shirt, Mr. Faggy McLooksLikeAHomo? Is it because you are so masculine that you need to balance things out by wearing something that brings you down to an average masculine level? Probably not the case.

I remember the days when clothes meant style, not in a gay, i'm keeping my eye on fashion trends, kind-of way. But more of a cultural way. People who wore darker clothes were identified as more down-to-earth and real, while brighter colored clothes represented a more lax attitude towards your life.

But now it seems that the rules have been thrown out the window and representation by first glance means nothing. Whether or not this is a good or bad thing has yet to be seen. Only time will tell when our generation moves forward and analyzes it's past.